Registration for Startup UNC is open to undergrads, graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni:
The fullest span of the course runs across the academic year (Mods I through IV for MBAs, Fall and Spring semesters for undergrads) but students do not need to engage the full series: students can participate only in the Fall or join midway in the Spring (generally depending on the nature of your venture).
Registration is often limited “by instructor permission only.” When that’s the case, please email
- Professors Don Rose and Dave Neal for the Fall mods/semester
- Professors Scott Albert and Tim Flood for Spring mods/semester
With routine registration,
- For MBAs taking the course for credit, register for MBA 848A (Mod I), MBA 848B (Mod II), MBA-848C (Mod III), MBA-848D (Mod IV)
- For KFBS undergrads taking the course for credit, register for BUSI 504 (note: the class will follow the MBA calendar, starting in September)
- For non-business students taking the class for credit, we will need to manually enroll you (enter your information HERE).
- For those auditing (faculty, staff, alumni), you will need to manually enroll in course (more information to come)
Participants fall into two categories: New Ventures and Free Agents
New Ventures: Most ideas coming into the course are very early: you’ve identified a customer need or problem and you have an innovative solution or technology that can solve this problem. You may have gathered some team members and done some preliminary market research. New ventures must prepare and submit a 2-minute video before the first class.
- If you have already have revenue or secured equity funding, please contact one of the instructors to discuss where and how you might benefit from this program.
New ventures must prepare and submit a 2-minute video before the first class.
The video should answer the following:
- Who are you?
- What is the problem or customer need you are trying to address?
- What is your product or service that will address that need?
- How is your product or service different from what’s currently available
Free Agents. Are you interested in joining a team to help develop a startup idea? You will have a chance during the first week of class to join a team.